Purchasing Medical Insurance for Foreign Workers in Singapore
Foreign Workers Medical Insurance

As an employer who employs foreign workers on Work Permit or S Pass, it is mandatory to purchase and maintain medical insurance coverage of at least $15,000 per year for each Work Permit or S Pass holder.

The insurance should cover inpatient care and day surgery, including hospital bills for conditions that may not be work related. You will need to submit the insurance details online to MOM before the permit or pass can be issued.

There are many insurers offering Foreign Worker Medical Insurance in Singapore, with various package plans that start from as low as $58.85. Whilst the basic packages will fulfil the minimum MOM requirements, some insurers also offer superior plans for employers who want more comprehensive coverage for their foreign workers.

Features to look out for:
1. Pre-Existing conditions

Most plans cover pre-existing conditions upon inception. Some insurers do require a 12 month waiting period for pre-existing conditions, for their basic plans.

2. Overseas Hospitalisation Benefit

Work-related medical treatmentsForeign Worker Medical Insurance policies usually cover most work-related medical treatments both in Singapore and overseas, when employees travel for work assignments.

Non-work-related medical treatmentsMost insurers cover non-work-related medical treatments only if they are performed within Singapore. However, it is good to note that NTUC income also provides overseas coverage for non-work-related medical treatments in cases of emergencies.

3. Emergency Outpatient treatment for Cancer & Kidney Dialysis

While outpatient treatments are usually excluded from the coverage of Foreign Worker Medical Insurance plans, AXA and QBE’s premiere plans do cover outpatient Cancer & Kidney treatment.

4. Outpatient Treatment

Most Foreign Worker Medical Insurance policies cover only inpatient treatments. If you are looking for outpatient coverage, QBE offers plans that cover both inpatient and outpatient treatments. These plans start from a higher cost of $400, and require a Co-Payment of $5 per outpatient visit.

5. Claimable Limit

MOM has set a requirement for the claimable limit to be at least $15,000 per policy year. However, most insurers offer a superior limit of up to $15,000 per disability1, while some insurers also offer options for claimable limits up to $30,000, at a premium.

6. Repatriation of Mortal Remains

When an unexpected loss of life happens for your foreign worker, due to illness or an accident, it also becomes necessary to repatriate their remains back to their home country. NTUC and AXA’s plans provide coverage for this.

Below is a summary of the basic plans offered by some insurers:
Which plan should you go for?

For those who are cost conscious, Tokio Marine’s package is a good option (it even includes $10,000 for Personal Accident coverage). For those whose Foreign workers have to travel overseas for work, you may benefit from NTUC’s plan which also covers Overseas Hospitalisation for non-work-related treatment. If you are looking for higher annual coverages up to $30,000, AXA and QBE would be better choices as their superior plans offer more comprehensive coverage.

Speak to us today!

1 “Disability” generally refers to all medical conditions (and complications) resulting from illnesses closely related to the same cause, or separate causes during the same hospital stay. The definition of the term may vary slightly across the different insurers.